If time management isn’t your strong suit, start focusing on improved outcomes rather than the sheer output. Don’t really know how to do that? Here are a few effective ways that will help you work smarter.
Your manager has probably told you time and time again that, the harder you work, the more successful you will be. In my opinion, this is one of the biggest misconceptions that are out there today in the business world. Working hard to achieve the goals you set for yourself and for the organization is never enough. The thing that will ensure the effectiveness is to work smart. You’ve probably heard Peter Drucker saying that “Efficiency is doing the thing right. Effectiveness is doing the right thing.” and I couldn’t agree more.
1. While most managers will tell you that a routine is bad for you, in my opinion, creating a routine is the best way to go so that you can manage your time perfectly. Schedule ahead of time meetings, errands, appointments to ensure that you won’t be wasting too much time on the road. Moreover, you could incorporate the lunch breaks into this period and determine the exact amount of time you are allocating for a project on a daily basis.
2. Second of all, a to-do list, whether it’s for your day, week and or month, is essential. Make sure you highlight the most important things based on their priority. Also, make sure to assign the task you need to complete to specific weeks and days. In my opinion, the best way to manage a huge project so that important aspects do not get overlooked is by way of a to-do list. Moreover, this will help you manage your time as effectively as possible.
3. You are the one person that has to figure out what should be done solely by you. Also, make sure you outsource the rest. Instead of being distracted by less important things, assign those assignments to other members of your team. If that is not really a possibility, you could use websites such as Fiverr or Fancy Hands that are able to offer cheap services for monotonous tasks and they’ll be more than happy to take those tasks off your hands.
4. Determine in what areas you excel and in which you are not really good at. For the latter areas, you should fire people that prove to be right for the job. Do you want to create an app that helps you increase your revenues but you don’t really know all that much about the technical stuff? Hire a person who is awesome at their job and loves to do it; trust me, it will prove worth your money and the burden from your shoulders will be lifted off.
5. Deadlines are also extremely important. If you manage to reach them, make sure you will reward yourself. The main way to achieve your goals is by setting a deadline. You could also use a trick that will help you work more efficiently. Set a deadline a few days before the actual deadline. By actually getting things done early will offer you the head start you need for the next big project you will be working on.
6. When you are actually working try to remain distraction free. Close the Internet and your smartphone. Also, avoid making personal calls or running errands during the work hours. Don’t allow distractions stand in the way of the accomplishment of your goals. In this way you are more likely to actually get things done by the time the deadline is over. Moreover, when you’re at home you’ll actually have time to relax and do the things you enjoy doing in your spare time.
7. Emails should be short and concise. Don’t bother sending long paragraphs. This will bore the receivers and they will not pay attention to the entire message. Why send a paragraph when you can sum that up in only one sentence? People tend to receive shorter messages better and tend to respond faster. Last but not least, make sure you are always polite and courteous.