Experts in business development field emphasize the importance of setting specific goals to create a solid foundation that will help your company achieve success.
Nonetheless, most entrepreneurs find setting specific goals just as hard as offering ways of attaining them. Thus, coming up with specific goals could pose a rather difficult challenge for most of them. So how can you make sure you will be able to come up and find methods of attaining your goals?
First of all, to avoid any confusion, you could use a clear-cut and systematic strategy given which is really simple to implement. Perseverance and consistent application will help you to achieve objectives that seemed unattainable before. Moreover, you will showcase your leadership skills.
- Daydreaming and visualizing. What is the most important thing to you? Why? Why does everything you do on a daily basis matter? Goals should always gravitate around balancing the 5 Fs, as Marty Domitrovich puts it: faith, family, friends, finances and fitness. While these may not apply for every entrepreneur out there, it’s a good starting point for creating attainable goals.
Start by writing everything that comes to mind, separating the concrete and achievable goals from the vague and unattainable ones. If you don’t believe you are able to reach a specific goal, probably you never will. Yet, you shouldn’t be afraid from stretching yourself. As a matter of fact, that’s exactly what goal setting refers to. Another crucial aspect you should take into account is that you shouldn’t bother worrying about current circumstances when setting future goals.
- Write down the goals and perfect them. As a technique you could narrow down the list to the top 10 goal priorities. Also, you could list them individually while also including the methods that will help you achieve it. Also, don’t forget about the deadlines. Set the milestones you will want to reach, create a reward system and one that will help you maintain accountability. For example, a manageable strategy could be comprised of: short-term goals (that need to be met in 1-3 months), mid-term goals (3-12 months) and long-term ones (more than two years).
- Don’t hesitate to act. Write down your goals on an index card of sorts which you can carry around for easy reference. Plan to complete one or two steps to reach your top goals, while also constantly reviewing and rewarding the daily registered progress. While many entrepreneurs avoid doing this, it’s actually okay to adjust goals as you go. Allowing yourself some room for flexibility is a great thing. Avoid at all cost transforming the direction of your goals into a way of making excuses.
- Look for inspiration. To guarantee that your goal plan will remain fresh, try and seek out stimulating ways to work on your strategy. Rely on tools such as seminars, books or any sort of educational materials to make sure that you are able to achieve success. You could go even one step further. For example, while working on your goals and strategies you could listen to music that always inspires you. And if you’re determined to be inspired all day long, you could even cover the room you’re working in with motivational sayings, interesting people or art that you find inspiring.
- Embrace temporary failure, but remember to fix things. Some people consider that in order to be one step closer to attaining your goal, you must fail at a particular aspect related to your strategy. While setbacks may have a negative impact on your business, there’s a lesson to be learned in each one. The least you could do is arrange all affairs in order so that the same mistake will not be repeated. And if you’re having difficulties with a specific goal, go ahead and reflect on how a person who you admire would deal with this situation. Afterwards, take the necessary actions steps that will help you solve the problem. Another important aspect is to leave the negative situations behind. Don’t let them follow you and hold you back. You need to pull yourself together and get over them.
- Take good care of yourself. How can your business progress, prosper or flourish if your mindset, your body or your spirit aren’t working full throttle? Make an effort, move as much as possible (consider doing cardio, taking up jogging or other physical activities). Give up on the junk food and embrace healthy meals. Also, it is preferable to avoid watching too much TV, reality programs or other such trash. Instead, go ahead and read a book.
In this particular instance, routine isn’t all that bad. Quite the opposite. Thus, create a daily schedule that presents the rest period and the activity one. Embrace saying “no” to requests that only waste precious time or drain your creative energy. Similarly, avoid feeling guilty when you’re spending time on your hobbies, travel or any activities that help you refresh and invigorate. Your well-being will translate into the workplace environment.
Last but not least, you need to maintain a positive attitude as far as the goal-reaching process is concerned. It’s well-known that everything worth doing is no easy task. You will need a team that is there for you to offer their support and put 110% into reaching the goals of the company. Enjoy each stage of the process, each obstacle and every success. Sooner rather than later, you’ll have a lot of great stories to tell.